#378 2018-02-06 22:01:35

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I've always used [lede] in it's journalistic context in order to not conflate it with the other definitions of "lead".

But I agree, that story was written by an ignoramus. Starting paragraphs with "But" indeed...

Lede is usually employed by self important twats who are, more than not, employed editors who can't write their way out of paper bags. My first challenge as a reporter was learning to write tamper-proof leads; change one word, the story falls apart. Change what follows, the lead doesn't work.

The referenced story circled its subject until your head spun but none of this really matters. News reporting is not something you can teach and anymore, the least sensible career choice imaginable.

#379 2018-02-06 22:02:00

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I've always used [lede] in it's journalistic context in order to not conflate it with the other definitions of "lead".

But I agree, that story was written by an ignoramus. Starting paragraphs with "But" indeed...

Lede is usually employed by self important twats who are, more than not, employed editors who can't write their way out of paper bags. My first challenge as a reporter was learning to write tamper-proof leads; change one word, the story falls apart. Change what follows, the lead doesn't work.

The referenced story circled its subject until your head spun but none of this really matters. News reporting is not something you can teach and anymore, the least sensible career choice imaginable.

#380 2018-02-07 08:02:17

choad wrote:

It's all going to the robots soon. They will consume the police, finance and court blotters, summarize the content, extract the sensational and prepare the feeds. Lord help us all.

Board footer

high-street.org