#1351 2017-12-29 16:31:02

https://fieldofvision.org/like

Tracks the multi-million dollar industry of Bangladeshi “click-farms” nurturing social media fortunes for celebrities and brands.

Like (9 min)
Garrett Bradley
2016-03-29

Last edited by choad (2017-12-29 16:32:32)

Offline

 

#1352 2017-12-30 06:46:43

Thanks, Choad. 

Admission:  I drifted into FB over the last year, but recently decided that I had had enough.  It's effect is somewhere between soporiphic and corrosive.  I began to feel intense anger with certain people I have known for years, all because I had read their posts that struck me as stupid or hateful.  If I had never seen their posts I would have gone along quite happily thinking these old friends were just great.  I do not need to know that much about them.

Offline

 

#1353 2017-12-30 08:18:08

Fled wrote:

Admission:  I drifted into FB over the last year, but recently decided that I had had enough.  It's effect is somewhere between soporiphic and corrosive.  I began to feel intense anger with certain people I have known for years, all because I had read their posts that struck me as stupid or hateful.  If I had never seen their posts I would have gone along quite happily thinking these old friends were just great.  I do not need to know that much about them.

Admission: I've never looked, not once. You don't have to scratch deep to find the ugly in any of us anymore, with or without Facebook validating the worst in everyone.

Offline

 

#1354 2017-12-30 10:18:47

choad wrote:

Admission: I've never looked, not once. You don't have to scratch deep to find the ugly in any of us anymore, with or without Facebook validating the worst in everyone.

Sarcasm and Jest have become a lost art, so much so you have to use an emoji to point out you aren't serious - followed by emoji's becoming such a thing we even had an "Emoji Movie". Leaning on the bar and laughing at the world is a long lost art apparently, the very reason I love this place.

Let's face it, I know my friends can be asses when pushed, so can I.  I just don't need to have that magnified for me, I knew that about them all along but still liked to have them around.  I'm quite convinced that the "Social Internet" has destroyed any bit of actual public socializing that TV hadn't already stomped on.

Offline

 

#1355 2017-12-31 05:41:03

Spin Art!
http://high-street.org/sidepic/spinart.png

Last edited by choad (2017-12-31 16:15:28)

Offline

 

#1356 2018-01-04 21:11:43

Offline

 

#1357 2018-01-05 04:56:19

Offline

 

#1358 2018-01-06 10:19:50


The speed with which the internet responds to news is nothing short of remarkable.

Last edited by Smudge (2018-01-06 10:30:43)

Offline

 

#1359 2018-01-07 03:58:36

Offline

 

#1360 2018-01-09 17:52:05

choad wrote:

https://fieldofvision.org/like

Tracks the multi-million dollar industry of Bangladeshi “click-farms” nurturing social media fortunes for celebrities and brands.

Like (9 min)
Garrett Bradley
2016-03-29

Reminds me of that Black Mirror episode.

Last edited by JetRx (2018-01-09 17:53:26)

Online

 

#1361 2018-01-12 13:05:52

https://high-street.org/sidepic/surferdude.png


~ click ~

Offline

 

#1363 2018-01-15 13:05:14

Monty Python, And Now For Something Rather Similar

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I6IB3V … 2f1UZ/view

If it doesn't play for you, there is a download icon at the top.

Last edited by Baywolfe (2018-01-15 13:07:15)

Offline

 

#1364 2018-01-15 14:07:57

Baywolfe wrote:

Monty Python, And Now For Something Rather Similar

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I6IB3V … 2f1UZ/view

If it doesn't play for you, there is a download icon at the top.

I couldn't get it to play, but I downloaded it as you suggested. I tried twice, actually. There's something wrong with the audio, and it breaks up in a kind of machine gun staccato (at least for me it does).

Too bad; I'd listen to those guys for hours. What a great bunch of minds. I'll see if I can find another source for it.

Offline

 

#1365 2018-01-15 14:12:58

Baywolfe wrote:

Monty Python, And Now For Something Rather Similar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Pyt … er_Similar

Offline

 

#1366 2018-01-15 14:53:05

(thanks!)

Offline

 

#1367 2018-01-15 15:59:09

Smudge wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Monty Python, And Now For Something Rather Similar

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I6IB3V … 2f1UZ/view

If it doesn't play for you, there is a download icon at the top.

I couldn't get it to play, but I downloaded it as you suggested. I tried twice, actually. There's something wrong with the audio, and it breaks up in a kind of machine gun staccato (at least for me it does).

Too bad; I'd listen to those guys for hours. What a great bunch of minds. I'll see if I can find another source for it.

Silly me, I should have checked YouTube straightaway.

Last edited by Baywolfe (2018-01-15 15:59:30)

Offline

 

#1368 2018-01-22 01:42:28

Happy People: A Year in the Taiga, Werner Herzog

Village of 300 in the Siberian Taiga, accessible only by helicopter or boat. No telephone, running water or medical aid and daily routines little changed over centuries.

https://archive.org/details/HappyPeopleAYearInTheTaiga#

Offline

 

#1369 2018-01-22 13:27:55

Emmeran wrote:

choad wrote:

Admission: I've never looked, not once. You don't have to scratch deep to find the ugly in any of us anymore, with or without Facebook validating the worst in everyone.

Sarcasm and Jest have become a lost art, so much so you have to use an emoji to point out you aren't serious - followed by emoji's becoming such a thing we even had an "Emoji Movie". Leaning on the bar and laughing at the world is a long lost art apparently, the very reason I love this place.

Let's face it, I know my friends can be asses when pushed, so can I.  I just don't need to have that magnified for me, I knew that about them all along but still liked to have them around.  I'm quite convinced that the "Social Internet" has destroyed any bit of actual public socializing that TV hadn't already stomped on.

It's unnatural Facebook is. Because built in by design you will eventually come to hate everyone there, including yourself.

...provides the key to understanding why Facebook may not be so great for your mental health.

Since the earliest days of Facebook, social scientists have sent up warnings saying that the ability to maintain separate "contexts" (where you reveal different aspects of yourself to different people) was key to creating and maintaining meaningful relationships, but Mark Zuckerberg ignored this advice, insisting that everyone be identified only by their real names and present a single identity to everyone in their lives, because anything else was "two-faced."

Offline

 

#1370 2018-01-22 17:09:48

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Since the earliest days of Facebook, social scientists have sent up warnings saying that the ability to maintain separate "contexts" (where you reveal different aspects of yourself to different people) was key to creating and maintaining meaningful relationships, but Mark Zuckerberg ignored this advice, insisting that everyone be identified only by their real names and present a single identity to everyone in their lives, because anything else was "two-faced."

Exactly!

Also...

Offline

 

#1371 2018-01-24 17:02:53

Offline

 

#1372 2018-01-24 17:43:28

Emmeran wrote:

Good Find!

Offline

 

#1373 2018-01-27 17:18:16

With this confluence of lunar events (super moon, blue moon, blood moon and lunar eclipse), I'm just going to stay under my bed until it's over:



https://www.nasa.gov/feature/super-blue … ing-jan-31

Last edited by Smudge (2018-01-27 17:37:58)

Offline

 

#1374 2018-02-01 20:17:19



Full transit of the Panama Canal. Shot on the Ocean Princess on February 28th 2016 by Steve Noble. Pacific ocean to the Atlantic ocean, 11 hour transit seen in under 7 minutes.

Last edited by Smudge (2018-02-01 20:24:18)

Offline

 

#1375 2018-02-13 09:15:02

Offline

 

Board footer

high-street.org