#1 2018-01-30 13:35:02

Over the past decade, out-of-state drug companies shipped 20.8 million prescription painkillers to two pharmacies four blocks apart in a Southern West Virginia town with 2,900 people, according to a congressional committee investigating the opioid crisis.

Offline

 

#2 2018-01-30 14:04:54

Hey but they paid $3.5m to make it go away so it's all cool.

Last edited by Emmeran (2018-01-30 14:05:30)

Offline

 

#3 2018-01-31 08:12:29

Has not one of the ostensibly High IQ Streeters figured this crisis out?

Medicaid expansion = "free" bottle of (insert your feel good drug of choice) =  $$$ on the street.

Offline

 

#4 2018-01-31 09:11:55

JetRx wrote:

Has not one of the ostensibly High IQ Streeters figured this crisis out?

Medicaid expansion = "free" bottle of (insert your feel good drug of choice) =  $$$ on the street.

Data?

Offline

 

#5 2018-01-31 09:38:04

JetRx wrote:

Has not one of the ostensibly High IQ Streeters figured this crisis out?

Medicaid expansion = "free" bottle of (insert your feel good drug of choice) =  $$$ on the street.

Criminals are going to be criminals from poor to president, this is why we have regulations and regulators.

But I'll do the math for you Oxy @ $10 per pill, bottle of 30 pills = $300 (prices vary slightly by region).  Refills are strictly monitored. 

So to make any measurable money off of this there has to be significant white-collar criminal activity to get around the "on the ground" enforcement measures, ergo the quoted article.

Offline

 

#6 2018-01-31 10:47:55

As a point of reference - this is the type of crime that junkies get up to.

Offline

 

#7 2018-01-31 14:28:40

States administer Medicaid, and several have had a very poor track record when it comes to monitoring opioid prescription patterns.  The worst by far has been Florida, I believe. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3030470/

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/889780

https://www.statnews.com/2016/11/23/med … id-limits/

Here's an interesting little mapping tool that the feds now provide:

https://cms-oeda.maps.arcgis.com/apps/M … e6e5800fa5

Last edited by Fled (2018-01-31 14:45:27)

Offline

 

#8 2018-01-31 15:04:16

Fled wrote:

States administer Medicaid, and several have had a very poor track record when it comes to monitoring opioid prescription patterns.  The worst by far has been Florida, I believe. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3030470/

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/889780

https://www.statnews.com/2016/11/23/med … id-limits/

Here's an interesting little mapping tool that the feds now provide:

https://cms-oeda.maps.arcgis.com/apps/M … e6e5800fa5

Can't we just stop beating around the bush and call them Opium Den's?

Offline

 

#9 2018-01-31 17:11:11

Emmeran wrote:

Fled wrote:

States administer Medicaid, and several have had a very poor track record when it comes to monitoring opioid prescription patterns.  The worst by far has been Florida, I believe. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3030470/

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/889780

https://www.statnews.com/2016/11/23/med … id-limits/

Here's an interesting little mapping tool that the feds now provide:

https://cms-oeda.maps.arcgis.com/apps/M … e6e5800fa5

Can't we just stop beating around the bush and call them Opium Den's?

So Racist!

http://pictures.ozy.com/pictures/1500xany/2/5/9/70259_543368061.jpg

Offline

 

#10 2018-01-31 17:18:47

Watch "Deadwood", opium dens weren't just for the Orientals.

Offline

 

#11 2018-01-31 18:14:19

Emmeran wrote:

Watch "Deadwood", opium dens weren't just for the Orientals.

ďThatís a joke, I say thatís a joke sonĒ
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH-JPmaVwAADgus.jpg

Offline

 

#12 2018-01-31 19:48:32

God damn it, I'm currently only taking 4 per day!
Where's my other fifteen and a half pills?  Who's out there ripping me off?!

Offline

 

#13 2018-01-31 21:02:36

Smudge wrote:

JetRx wrote:

Has not one of the ostensibly High IQ Streeters figured this crisis out?

Medicaid expansion = "free" bottle of (insert your feel good drug of choice) =  $$$ on the street.

Data?

AN EXCLUSIVE REVIEW OF MEDICAID PRESCRIPTION DRUG DATA FOUND OXYCODONE PAINKILLERS FLOODED INTO NEW YORK FROM 2012 TO 2014, INCLUDING 8.8 MILLION PILLS IN WESTCHESTER, ROCKLAND AND PUTNAM COUNTIES ALONE, ENOUGH FOR SIX PAIN PILLS FOR EVERY MAN, WOMAN AND CHILD IN THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY.

STRIKINGLY, TAXPAYERS FUNDED MUCH OF THE FLOW OF DRUGS, COVERING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN MEDICAID PAYMENTS. THESE PAIN PILLS HOOKED MANY NEW YORKERS AND STARTED SOME DOWN THE PATH TO HEROIN, THE CHEMICALLY SIMILAR STREET DRUG BEING SMUGGLED INTO THE U.S. IN RECORD AMOUNTS BY MEXICAN DRUG CARTELS.

STATEWIDE, THE NUMBER OF PILLS PAID FOR JUST FROM MEDICAID REACHED 251 MILLION DURING THAT SAME PERIOD, ENOUGH FOR 13 PAIN PILLS FOR EVERY NEW YORKER. THE PRICE TAG FOR TAXPAYERS? MORE THAN $1 BILLION BASED ON A REVIEW OF PAIN-PILL REIMBURSEMENT RATES.

ďITíS NOT JUST A PUBLIC HEALTH ISSUE. THERE IS A FINANCIAL IMPACT WHICH WOULD SUGGEST THAT STATES SHOULD BE MUCH MORE AGGRESSIVE IN THEIR USE OF THIS DATABASE,Ē SAID DR. ANDREW KOLODNY, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF PHYSICIANS FOR RESPONSIBLE OPIOID PRESCRIBING.

IT IS DIFFICULT TO DETERMINE EXACTLY HOW MANY PILLS WERE PRESCRIBED, OR HOW MUCH THEY COST TAXPAYERS, BECAUSE THE NARCOTIC BUREAU WITHHELD MANY DETAILS, CITING PRIVACY AND PUBLIC SAFETY LAWS.

*********

https://spottedtoad.wordpress.com/2017/ … id-crisis/

*********

Naturally, with every other commercial on MSM promoting one drug or another, they're loathe to report on real culprits and risk loosing ad revenue.  I don't need any "data" for that assertion.  Same goes for my friend's sister who puts $1800 a month in her pocket subletting her pain prescription. 

All this taxpayer-funded  "free shit" needs to go.

Offline

 

#14 2018-02-01 01:26:35

Well...there's sure a whole lot of data there. I'm not sure what it all means, but it's more work than I care to do to try to sort it out.

If the goal is to persuade someone to come to your point of view, however, I think a few well written and carefully constructed paragraphs laying out a clear and simple proposition, backed up with a reasonable amount of well organized and properly sourced data is the way to go. The spottedtoad blog comes across as argument by data dump:

Neither of the fallacies below exactly describe that blog, but they both come close.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/too … timidation

Last edited by Smudge (2018-02-01 01:42:57)

Offline

 

#15 2018-02-01 01:53:37

Here's an on-topic example of a proposition on the same subject matter (expressing the opposite side of the argument, however) effectively made, using well organized, clearly thought out reasoning, and an appropriate amount of supporting data for a general summary:

...Begin with a logical assumption that has been broadly accepted since Aristotle walked the earth: For A to cause B, A has to occur before B in time. The Affordable Care Act was passed in 2010, but the national expansion of Medicaid didnít begin until 2014. Thatís after the 15-year-long quadrupling of prescription painkiller overdoses deaths from 4,030 to 16,234. Obviously those deaths canít be attributed to a Medicaid expansion that hadnít happened yet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won … a4c022a527

Offline

 

#16 2018-02-01 07:02:31

Yeah, the "let's get rid of the free stuff" argument really falls short of being helpful.  What is called for is closer control on prescription of opioids, tracking of amounts prescribed, and sanctioning those who mis-prescribe.  As long as we're bothering to regulate opioids, that is.

Offline

 

#17 2018-02-01 07:26:40

Fled wrote:

Yeah, the "let's get rid of the free stuff" argument really falls short of being helpful.  What is called for is closer control on prescription of opioids, tracking of amounts prescribed, and sanctioning those who mis-prescribe.  As long as we're bothering to regulate opioids, that is.

Thank the heavens Trump is anti-regulation and anti-enforcement.

Offline

 

#18 2018-02-01 09:17:58

Fled wrote:

Here's an interesting little mapping tool that the feds now provide:

https://cms-oeda.maps.arcgis.com/apps/M … e6e5800fa5

Can confirm, the dark red zip codes around here correlate perfectly with the presence of run down single wide trailers, obesity scooters crawling through stores and Family Dollars.

Offline

 

#19 2018-02-01 09:53:36

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Fled wrote:

Here's an interesting little mapping tool that the feds now provide:

https://cms-oeda.maps.arcgis.com/apps/M … e6e5800fa5

Can confirm, the dark red zip codes around here correlate perfectly with the presence of run down single wide trailers, obesity scooters crawling through stores and Family Dollars.

Sure.I'll buy that. Hopelessness has got to be a major factor, as it is in all drug abuse.

Offline

 

#20 2018-02-01 15:45:14

If your doctor cuts you off, you can always take a couple of hundred Immodium AD tablets instead. Maybe take a shit next month, maybe the month after...

Offline

 

#21 2018-02-01 17:47:23

Well you can't even join the Army any longer with any type of conviction on your record, there is no place left to go but down.

Offline

 

#22 2018-02-01 18:50:27

Emmeran wrote:

Well you can't even join the Army any longer with any type of conviction on your record, there is no place left to go but down.

Meaning the Marine Corps?  "We're looking for a few good men, and a whole bunch of assholes".

Offline

 

#23 2018-02-02 06:53:31

It's a fact jack - I hate to think what would have become of me had I not joined the Corps straight out of High School.

Offline

 

Board footer

high-street.org