#2 2017-12-18 18:26:53

Pretty interesting, especially his conclusion that being loved and nutured by good parents helped keep him from a darker path.  J.K. Rowling has a charity set up to deal with children that do not get that that initial bonding and what it does to their brain development.

There are some YouTube videos with Jon Ronson regarding the alarming number of psychopaths that exist in this world.

I say this with no malevolence toward our President, but with a Scottish mother and a father that's a bigger SOB than he'll ever be, it's no wonder that he grew up to be the way he is.

#3 2017-12-18 18:48:45

No question that it's as a result of early, and very severe wounding. But after a certain point, it doesn't matter; the amount of damage narcissists can inflict on others is staggering (I was raised by one -- I know).

If I stop after giving him a hundred times as much compassion as he gives to others, and I'm still totally done with him. No amount of compassion can fill the bucket; it's a need which will vacuum up anything and anyone which it encounters.

The problem with narcissists, especially for people who have never been around one for an extended period of time, is that they can seem to be really, really interesting. They really aren't like other people. After you get to know them well, however, you realize that this is because they simply lack the kinds of restraints which most of us have learned which make us tolerable to be around.

The simple truth is, they aren't interesting; they're just complete assholes. And the nature of their particular form of assholery is that it's completely resistant to change. Narcissists don't change because they don't want to; it's as simple as that.

Edit: My comments were in reference to the final sentence in  Baywolfe's post directly above. In other words...I was speaking about Trump. I realized after reading my post that this wasn't clear.

Last edited by Smudge (2017-12-18 19:54:11)

#4 2017-12-19 12:56:28

Smudge wrote:

No question that it's as a result of early, and very severe wounding. But after a certain point, it doesn't matter; the amount of damage narcissists can inflict on others is staggering (I was raised by one -- I know).

Edit: My comments were in reference to the final sentence in  Baywolfe's post directly above. In other words...I was speaking about Trump. I realized after reading my post that this wasn't clear.

You're probably not a psychopath, then.  The combination of upbringing plus the magical gene or genes would have certainly pushed you off the deep end of the pool.

#5 2017-12-20 21:38:41

ďIíve more consciously been doing things that are considered Ďthe right thing to do,í and thinking more about other peopleís feelings.Ē
But he added, ďAt the same time, Iím not doing this because Iím suddenly nice, Iím doing it because of prideóbecause I want to show to everyone and myself that I can pull it off.Ē

The cause of improved behavior hardly matters as much as the effect.  If you do good things to "get along" or to appear better socialized instead of being an innate "good person," who cares?  You'll still get the same positive reinforcement, and your community will be much better off.
I don't care if people are good way down in their dark and sticky insides, as long as they act good.  Hell, that probably constitutes 50-60 percent of my own good behavior.
...I think what I'm trying to say here was said better in The Dark Knight:  It's what you do that defines who you are.

#6 2017-12-21 09:10:59

George Orr wrote:

It's what you do that defines who you are.

Well, it's what you do when nobody's watching that defines who you are.

#7 2017-12-23 19:48:26

Baywolfe wrote:

Well, it's what you do when nobody's watching that defines who you are.

Heh.  True.

Board footer

high-street.org