#1 2017-10-20 16:47:45

People in marketing should all be forced to eat their own young. Full disclosure; I had a career in marketing, and I was very good at it, to my perpetual chagrin.

Quaker Apples & Cinnamon has "35% less sugar" because they've cut the portion size by 35%, while the price remains 100%

https://boingboing.net/2017/10/20/groce … k-ray.html

#2 2017-10-20 18:15:25

Your buying "factory food" WTF did you expect.  That's like factory peanut butter and ketchup, it's all sugar and no flavor.

#3 2017-10-20 18:28:27

...and this relates to marketing how?

Last edited by Smudge (2017-10-20 18:45:45)

#4 2017-10-20 20:56:02

I'm savvy to most of the tricks, but I'm getting really irritated at how "half-gallon" tubs of ice cream have shrunk and shrunk over the years.  If you need to raise the price, then raise it; but gimme a fucking half-gallon of ice cream.  Stop whittling.

#5 2017-10-20 20:58:24

P.S.  We don't have a lot of prepared foods in the house, because we're both pretty good cooks (he's actually excellent while I am pretty good).
But one of the exceptions is breakfast stuff like oatmeal and grits.  If you cooked that stuff up from scratch you'd have to set your alarm for 4:00 am to get to work on time.  Instant oatmeal, "instant" grits (which still take fifteen fucking minutes) and "Quick" Cream of Wheat is the way to go in the morning.

#6 2017-10-20 21:35:55

George Orr wrote:

P.S.  We don't have a lot of prepared foods in the house, because we're both pretty good cooks (he's actually excellent while I am pretty good).
But one of the exceptions is breakfast stuff like oatmeal and grits.  If you cooked that stuff up from scratch you'd have to set your alarm for 4:00 am to get to work on time.  Instant oatmeal, "instant" grits (which still take fifteen fucking minutes) and "Quick" Cream of Wheat is the way to go in the morning.

We actually over-night soak our oatmeal or use the rice cooker.  There is nothing good about instant anything and rolled oats are so simple to prepare that you don't need instant at all.

#7 2017-10-20 22:11:40

#8 2017-10-20 23:27:36

https://media.makeameme.org/created/Now-thats-what-ggthd1.jpg

#9 2017-10-20 23:36:39

Smudge wrote:

People in marketing should all be forced to eat their own young. Full disclosure; I had a career in marketing, and I was very good at it, to my perpetual chagrin.

Quaker Apples & Cinnamon has "35% less sugar" because they've cut the portion size by 35%, while the price remains 100%

https://boingboing.net/2017/10/20/groce … k-ray.html

I try not to eat any food where the packaging outweighs the contents.

#10 2017-10-21 17:20:56

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I try not to eat any food where the packaging outweighs the contents.

Good rule of thumb. I've pretty much trained myself to avoid anything with beautiful packaging. I buy the brands which look like a frumpy housewife with curlers. Increasingly I eat out of the bulk bins.

At my favored grocery store their new trick is to charge more per increment (ounce, item, etc.) for the larger "value size" packages than in the smaller packages, because they think (accurately, I believe) that most people are too lazy to check.

I view marketing, for the most part, as the science of how to get people to do things which are against their best interest. It's like organized crime, only with better suits.

#11 2017-10-21 17:36:43

I just said fuck it and avoid any pre-prepared food.  Fresh costs more but it is always better.

#12 2017-10-21 23:07:10

Smudge wrote:

At my favored grocery store their new trick is to charge more per increment (ounce, item, etc.) for the larger "value size" packages than in the smaller packages, because they think (accurately, I believe) that most people are too lazy to check.

I've seen that a lot too. More / oz for the quart than the pint. Also, I've seen the store brand cost more than the name brand, even without promotions or coupons. Again, making money off of people's assumptions.

The other dirty trick is to price each brand using a different increment. Brand 1  is $/oz, brand 2 is $/lb, brand 3 is $/serving, brand 4 is $/each. In Floriduh the law says that they have to display the "unit price", so they game the unit.

And they have one of those "bulk only" stores just opened here. It looks like a warehouse and everything is in bins. But I checked the wife's receipts after she tried it out and more than half of the simple staples (nuts, raisins, even flour and sugar) were more expensive by the bin than in a bag, even at Pubeix.

It's truly the age of Caveat Emptor. As if it ever wasn't.

#13 2017-10-22 15:11:34

As always, get a better job and drop the worry.

On the other hand, I get to buy Rutabaga at turnip prices up here in New England so I'm making out like a madman.  (the produce guys will even argue with me)

Board footer

high-street.org