#1 2017-10-18 08:33:30

https://high-street.org/sidepic/situation.normal.all.fucked.up.png
~ click ~

#2 2017-10-18 09:20:21

"Employees at [biomedical cell distribution] centres recognise the problem, but claim no one will listen to them," says Halffman.

"Sometimes it involves semi-private companies that refuse to disclose anything for fear of reputation or financial damage. The biggest factor by far is pride and fear of reputation damage."

It will be interesting to see if science can shake off the bureaucracy and faith in the system that religion has and actually correct these findings.

#3 2017-10-18 09:22:00

"Employees at [biomedical cell distribution] centres recognise the problem, but claim no one will listen to them," says Halffman.

Easy, stop selling and sending out contaminated cell lines, or make them well documented in the catalogs. A large percentage of these contaminated lines are contaminated because cell banks often ask for returns of any "interesting" lines, and those lines are not pure. They don't want to spend the money to do a genetic assay and couldn't as recently as 10 years ago. But they don't want to admit the problem and lose all of their lucrative products any more than researchers who are years into a grant want to throw it all away and admit to their financiers that they have spent a lot of money on bunk.

I have no experience in medical cell lines, but I can tell you that if I was buying commercial yeast that was contaminated with unexpected variants I would be lawyering up and looking to get my money back, at the least.

But temper this with the knowledge that 30,000 scientific publications is probably about equal to one year of annual volume in the biomedical publishing business.

#4 2017-10-18 09:59:03

GooberMcNutly wrote:

But temper this with the knowledge that 30,000 scientific publications is probably about equal to one year of annual volume in the biomedical publishing business.

I got a mercifully brief look at the med research industrial complex 40 years ago and found its workforce immune to fail, even when they lost pulse and turned room temperature. They all signed their donor cards.

https://high-street.org/sidepic/toetag.png

Board footer

high-street.org