#1 2017-09-24 19:07:13

He bitched he couldn't afford a burger, so we sent him one:

http://high-street.org/uploads/11_burger.jpg

Offline

 

#2 2017-09-24 21:58:36

Emmeran wrote:

He bitched he couldn't afford a burger, so we sent him one:

http://high-street.org/uploads/11_burger.jpg

Mine held a job through most of her schooling, so she didn't really beg a lot, mommy and me just had to pay tuition and etc., to a relatively prestigious state school.

However, the month after getting her BS in education, our "Annoying girl child"(TM) went out and converted her BS into an Mrs. The worst part is, son-in-law is not a rich lawyer, nor lawyer, nor even rich.

This is our fault, though. Mommy and me used to tell her, all the time, "be in the top ten of your high school graduating class and you can go to university any where you want."  I always thought, that if you were in the top ten of your class, there would be money in the form of grants and scholarships. Turns out, it's not that easy.  I talked to other parents of high school valedictorians, and was surprised by how much paper work that everyone was doing to get even small amounts of money.

Offline

 

#3 2017-09-25 15:29:43

This young'un managed an Honor's Scholarship to UMass-Boston, he's also seriously looking at the Coast Guard collegiate officer program.  I think the last of the Knuckleheads (current HS Jr) will go to the Naval(Marine) Academy@Annapolis;  these boys are just that good. 

Now the first two, well I wasn't well honed in my dadcraft and they still need some work...

Offline

 

#4 2017-10-07 01:49:25

Around here, it's STEM, or figure out the financing 4 yourself. 
Same as it ever was. 

Last edited by JetRx (2017-10-07 01:51:46)

Offline

 

#5 2017-10-07 02:07:43

JetRx wrote:

Around here, it's STEM, or figure out the financing 4 yourself. 
Same as it ever was. 

"Impudent Snobs" by Spiro Agnew

That's not Spiro T you're hearing but Bill Safire, arguably the best English linguist and historian the 20th century produced. "Nattering nabobs of negativism," was also one of Safire's Agnew coinages.

Offline

 

#6 2017-10-07 06:16:13

Well the young scholar has received his canned Chzburger and it has joined his growing collection of odd tin'd foods I send him.  Should anyone have some odd or bizarre preserved foods to send him I'll happily post his boarding house address (I've not visited yet but I believe he sleeps in the cupboard under the stair).

Offline

 

#7 2017-10-07 06:35:25

Emmeran wrote:

I think the last of the Knuckleheads (current HS Jr) will go to the Naval(Marine) Academy@Annapolis;  these boys are just that good.

Suggest he at least look at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy in Bourne. By all accounts, risks are less, rewards are greater, and it's lots closer to home.

Offline

 

#8 2017-10-07 07:03:03

choad wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

I think the last of the Knuckleheads (current HS Jr) will go to the Naval(Marine) Academy@Annapolis;  these boys are just that good.

Suggest he at least look at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy in Bourne. By all accounts, risks are less, rewards are greater, and it's lots closer to home.

Risk is really the only part of the equation he likes, the boy is a gamer.

Offline

 

#9 2017-10-07 12:14:25

Emmeran wrote:

Risk is really the only part of the equation he likes, the boy is a gamer.

Does any parent want to hear that shit? "Right, Viejo, I've eaten all your expenses for 18 years just sos you can get your mangy ass shot off?"

Offline

 

#10 2017-10-07 12:27:54

choad wrote:

Does any parent want to hear that shit? "Right, Viejo, I've eaten all your expenses for 18 years just sos you can get your mangy ass shot off?"

You're missing the point - I'm launching men not hipsters.  They shall decide for themselves and if they want to wade into the world of violence it's their own damned business.  But being the socialist that I am I have entrenched a strong sense of duty into these boys.

They will go and do and from that they will garner accolades and stories.

Stories by far being the most important part...

Offline

 

#11 2017-10-07 13:45:57

Iíve got one boy who likes to send home photos of himself standing on the precipice of >14K mountains in CO. Worries the hell out of me every fucking time.

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2017-10-07 22:54:09)

Offline

 

#12 2017-10-07 14:18:21

Emmeran wrote:

Stories by far being the most important part...

The lesson I learned footing my own education is its purpose is to teach you how to teach yourself... as far away from home as possible, so you don't have share your inevitable fuckups.

Trust me, Em, Sailor is right. You do not want to hear those stories.

Last edited by choad (2017-10-07 14:18:43)

Offline

 

#13 2017-10-07 15:09:51

choad wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Stories by far being the most important part...

The lesson I learned footing my own education is its purpose is to teach you how to teach yourself... as far away from home as possible, so you don't have share your inevitable fuckups.

Trust me, Em, Sailor is right. You do not want to hear those stories.

Oh I agree, I'm chasing them out into their own lives as fast as possible.  In fact I sneak into bedrooms at night and whisper "move out".

As for selfies from mountain tops, well I've got no time for selfies; this isn't a scrap booking contest this is life and it's meant to be lived at full throttle.  Who the fuck takes pictures of themselves anyway...??


Besides:  what do you think the point of sending him a canned cheese burger was anyway?

Last edited by Emmeran (2017-10-07 15:10:42)

Offline

 

Board footer

high-street.org