#2 2017-06-13 07:11:43

https://high-street.org/sidepic/prisoner09.png


What's next, Airbnb for half-way inmates wearing ankle monitors?

Offline

 

#3 2017-06-13 07:54:45

It's funny - they think filling the jail validates it and thus indicates they are doing a good job.  In actuality it's the reverse - their primary focus is supposed to be crime prevention not punishment for it.

I had a conversation with our local Police Chief, he was going on about how dangerous it is in our little town of 3,000 - I just looked at him in disbelief.  We have teen-aged shenanigans, town drunks/addicts and spousal abuse; that isn't crime that's just normal people games.  The police blotter is published in the local weekly and the last arrest we had was 2 months ago for driving on a suspended license - and that dude was arrested because the chief knew him personally and disliked him.


Side note:  To incorporate as a town in Massachusetts you must have a Police Chief, so every tiny burg has a police department at huge cost.  Out west towns can rely on the county sheriff to provide those services, the cost is significantly lower.

Offline

 

#4 2017-06-13 09:30:47

Emmeran wrote:

America at it's best

Just the kind of place the Feds like to put long-term low-danger prisoners from the War on Drugs. Bonus points for picking a location waaayyy too far away from friends and family to ever get a visitor. From SoCal? Prison in Maine. From Maine? Prison in SoCal.

Offline

 

#5 2017-06-13 09:47:08

Emmeran wrote:

To incorporate as a town in Massachusetts you must have a Police Chief, so every tiny burg has a police department at huge cost.  Out west towns can rely on the county sheriff to provide those services, the cost is significantly lower.

You say this like being able to start a town on the cheap is a good thing:

http://assets.atlasobscura.com/media/W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzdiZmMxNjBhZTc2YWNiNTE2MWFlNzA1ZjZjYzY0ZDIzNDIyZTlkMmQuanBnIl0sWyJwIiwidGh1bWIiLCJ4MzkwPiJdLFsicCIsImNvbnZlcnQiLCItcXVhbGl0eSA5MSAtYXV0by1vcmllbnQiXV0/7bfc160ae76acb5161ae705f6cc64d23422e9d2d.jpg

~ CLICK ~

Last edited by Smudge (2017-06-13 09:48:34)

Offline

 

#6 2017-06-13 10:31:02

Moving from Vietnam to there?

Offline

 

#7 2017-06-13 10:41:45

Emmeran wrote:

Moving from Vietnam to there?

I expect he'll put in a few rice paddies.

Offline

 

#8 2017-06-14 00:48:42

Hey, why shouldn't capitalism work its magic in prisons?  If the invisible hand of the market chooses places understaffed by poorly-paid guards where stabbings are a regular occurrence (if somewhat less-regularly reported to the state), then that's the way it ought to be, right?

Offline

 

#9 2017-06-14 10:21:04

Sure, why not?  Once white people started being the minorities in prison, we stopped caring about rehabilitation and started concentrating on punishment and payment.  Keep them agitated so they fight, add time to their sentences, and "And, oh my. Lord, how the money rolled in." {deliberate Shawshank reference}

Offline

 

#10 2017-06-14 10:52:58

square wrote:

Hey, why shouldn't capitalism work its magic in prisons?  If the invisible hand of the market chooses places understaffed by poorly-paid guards where stabbings are a regular occurrence (if somewhat less-regularly reported to the state), then that's the way it ought to be, right?

Daily rate charged to state per inmate (2015): $34

Sounds like quite the bargain to me.

Offline

 

#11 2017-06-14 11:05:59

You want cruel and unusual, I'll give you cruel and unusual.

Offline

 

#12 2017-06-14 11:44:10

GooberMcNutly wrote:

You want cruel and unusual, I'll give you cruel and unusual.

Offline

 

#13 2017-06-14 12:28:22

GooberMcNutly wrote:

You want cruel and unusual, I'll give you cruel and unusual.

LOLOLOL...

Last edited by Smudge (2017-06-14 13:52:08)

Offline

 

Board footer

high-street.org