#1 2017-05-02 16:32:07

...as is apparently, Obamacare repeal (with Obamacare having, seemingly, as many lives as a cat):

The Hill's Whip List: 22 GOP no votes on new ObamaCare replacement bill, with 53 still undecided (or unknown). Assuming Democrats vote against the bill en mass (a safe assumption) twenty two Republican no votes effectively kills the legislation. This dog STILL won't hunt, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

Read the story here:

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/330717 … acare-bill

Offline

 

#2 2017-05-02 19:58:28

The sad thing is the ACA does need some major tweaking, though a bi-partisan congress to give the people what was originally intended to begin with.  Emperor, Govern By Decree, Trump, will never go hat in hand to them and ask them to fix it because it's never been about passing a great piece of legislation in his mind, it's about "winning".  "Hey, look what I did!"

Offline

 

#3 2017-05-02 20:19:12

Baywolfe wrote:

Emperor, Govern By Decree, Trump, will never go hat in hand to them and ask them to fix it because it's never been about passing a great piece of legislation in his mind, it's about "winning".  "Hey, look what I did!"

Offline

 

#4 2017-05-02 20:26:02

Baywolfe wrote:

The sad thing is the ACA does need some major tweaking, though a bi-partisan congress to give the people what was originally intended to begin with.  Emperor, Govern By Decree, Trump, will never go hat in hand to them and ask them to fix it because it's never been about passing a great piece of legislation in his mind, it's about "winning".  "Hey, look what I did!"

Yup.

Offline

 

#5 2017-05-03 02:27:27

Hey, Trump's a businessman who gets things done, why do all you losers want to mire him down with process and opposition?  He should adopt this great, really great idea to gather his supporters as a constitutional convention.

Offline

 

#6 2017-05-03 02:45:04

Oh, yeah. Within the year he's going to be saying "That Constitution was written by some really bad dudes. I'm not kidding. Very bad."

Offline

 

#7 2017-05-03 11:50:49

square wrote:

Hey, Trump's a businessman who gets things done, why do all you losers want to mire him down with process and opposition?  He should adopt this great, really great idea to gather his supporters as a constitutional convention.

He's the worlds worst businessman, devaluing the family fortune by almost two thirds to date.
http://high-street.org/uploads/157_20862178.jpg

Offline

 

#8 2017-05-03 12:58:36

Yikes! I'm used to eating my words, but rarely do I have to eat them quite so quickly. Did I say Trump would come out against the Constitution within a year (two posts up)? I meant WEEK; he'll come out against the Constitution within the week (actually, it was within the same day).

There are positive developments, however. If this keeps up, in a year or two Donald will be able to pass a fifth grade civics test on 'how your government functions'.


Failing Donald Trump Has a New Enemy: Democracy

https://dawm7kda6y2v0.cloudfront.net/uploads/2017/04/AP_17111659152879-654x362-2fc35ca.jpg
CLICK

Offline

 

#9 2017-05-03 13:10:58

If he turns the crazy people against him, especially the ones that voted for him, he will end up dead.

Offline

 

#10 2017-05-03 13:19:55

Smudge wrote:

Yikes! I'm used to eating my words, but rarely do I have to eat them quite so quickly. Did I say Trump would come out against the Constitution within a year (two posts up)? I meant WEEK; he'll come out against the Constitution within the week (actually, it was within the same day).

There are positive developments, however. If this keeps up, in a year or two Donald will be able to pass a fifth grade civics test on 'how your government functions'.


Failing Donald Trump Has a New Enemy: Democracy

https://dawm7kda6y2v0.cloudfront.net/up … fc35ca.jpg
CLICK

That's a really thought provoking article.  It got me thinking about how many of the things I thought were laws regarding Presidential behavior and power just turned out to be guidelines.

So, I wondered, I didn't think he could but, can Trump amend the Constitution by Execute Order? 

Turns out the answer is a resounding NO and I cite no less an example of the information out there, theamericanconservative.com who was explaining why President Obama couldn't do it.

Offline

 

#11 2017-05-03 14:15:42

At least they didn't just "pass it to see what was in it". I'm all for stalling, indecision, infighting and ineffectiveness in the governing masses. It's when they all start marching in lockstep and being team players that I bury my money jar in the back yard and go on a long vacation...

Offline

 

#12 2017-05-03 16:57:09

Baywolfe wrote:

square wrote:

Hey, Trump's a businessman who gets things done, why do all you losers want to mire him down with process and opposition?  He should adopt this great, really great idea to gather his supporters as a constitutional convention.

He's the worlds worst businessman, devaluing the family fortune by almost two thirds to date.
http://high-street.org/uploads/157_20862178.jpg

Hey, he's a closer. Everyone loves a closer. They want to have coffee with a closer. Heck they want to be a closer, but they can't be.

I understand what has to be done, I get things done Iíve always been a closer. We donít have a lot of closers in politics and I understand why. Itís a very rough system, itís an archaic system.

Offline

 

#13 2017-05-03 17:16:21

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Hey, he's a closer. Everyone loves a closer. They want to have coffee with a closer. Heck they want to be a closer, but they can't be.

I understand what has to be done, I get things done Iíve always been a closer. We donít have a lot of closers in politics and I understand why. Itís a very rough system, itís an archaic system.

You know another word for closer?  Con man.  I worked in IT for a sales-driven company and the owner was probably one of the greatest closers I ever saw, and one of the most horrible human beings too.

Offline

 

#14 2017-05-03 23:59:11

http://high-street.org/sidepic/secondprize.jpg

Offline

 

#15 2017-05-04 03:24:16

Baywolfe wrote:

You know another word for closer?  Con man.  I worked in IT for a sales-driven company and the owner was probably one of the greatest closers I ever saw, and one of the most horrible human beings too.

Glengarry Glen Ross, 1992:
Second Prize, a set of steak knives.


http://high-street.org/sidepic/secondprize.jpg


Merciful heavens, have you all worked for my little bother? No, I'm not being funny. He started out with Dayton's venerable National Cash Register, where they indoctrinated Dale Carnegie with flair. "You want to succeed in this business, Harry, you got to suck a lotta dick." And, of course, "ABC: Always Be Closing". Every visit's a sales call.

In Bruges, 2008: "Harry, let's face it. And I'm not being funny. I mean no disrespect, but you're a cunt. You're a cunt now, and you've always been a cunt. And the only thing that's going to change is that you're going to be an even bigger cunt. Maybe have some more cunt kids."

I've known my share of these pantloads and it's always the same. They understand fuck-all about the technology they flog because that is not the point.

Sorry, we return you now to our regular programming.

Offline

 

#16 2017-05-04 15:07:17

've known my share of these pantloads and it's always the same. They understand fuck-all about the technology they flog because that is not the point.

As a lifelong Maker and not a Seller, it's taken me a many hard years to realize that what we thought were parasites turned out to be symbiotes. Having just been through two company startup expansions, both of which flamed out because they had too many techs and not enough sales people (or worse, sending a tech out as a sales guy. Ugh!) so they always outgrew the revenue stream and burned all the seed cash (largely on techs like me...) before they had any real customers, or they had customers, but no tech support/public relations plan in place when they actually got a couple of customers. A couple of sharp suits on the payroll could have found the Eskimos looking for our ice, and people would have had jobs 6 months later. But Engineers are like Doctors. They all think they know it all.

Offline

 

#17 2017-05-04 17:50:29

GooberMcNutly wrote:

've known my share of these pantloads and it's always the same. They understand fuck-all about the technology they flog because that is not the point.

As a lifelong Maker and not a Seller, it's taken me a many hard years to realize that what we thought were parasites turned out to be symbiotes. Having just been through two company startup expansions, both of which flamed out because they had too many techs and not enough sales people (or worse, sending a tech out as a sales guy. Ugh!) so they always outgrew the revenue stream and burned all the seed cash (largely on techs like me...) before they had any real customers, or they had customers, but no tech support/public relations plan in place when they actually got a couple of customers. A couple of sharp suits on the payroll could have found the Eskimos looking for our ice, and people would have had jobs 6 months later. But Engineers are like Doctors. They all think they know it all.

Yeah the scammers and plumbers are far more important than anyone understands.

Offline

 

#18 2017-05-06 01:43:06

Emmeran wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Engineers are like Doctors. They all think they know it all.

Yeah the scammers and plumbers are far more important than anyone understands.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/mmt_postcard_final-e1401342019907.png
~ click ~

Offline

 

#19 2017-05-08 15:14:16

GooberMcNutly wrote:

've known my share of these pantloads and it's always the same. They understand fuck-all about the technology they flog because that is not the point.

As a lifelong Maker and not a Seller, it's taken me a many hard years to realize that what we thought were parasites turned out to be symbiotes.

'S true.  I spent more than half my life looking down my nose at "sales people" and the particular type of personality it takes to be successful in sales.  I truly thought they were all sociopaths and hypocrites.
It was a hard lesson learning that's not true.
There IS a certain personality type that is drawn to/good at sales; and yes, many of them are insufferable as people--but not all, maybe not even the majority.  The point is that Makers tend to be bad at selling and definitely need Sellers.  Whether that's an uneasy marriage or a happy one usually depends on the personalities involved. 
Put another way, if you knew a Maker/Creator who just made shit all the time and then tossed it out his window or threw it down a well--making for its own sake--you'd wonder about his mental health.  Conversely, Sellers who are mentally ill--selling for its own sake--get to skate and continue to be members of society.

Offline

 

#20 2017-05-09 07:38:01

In law firms, they sometimes break it down into three categories: grinders, minders and finders.  I toiled away for decades as a minder, and sometimes got my foot in the water as a finder.  However, I never thought of myself as a good salesman.  I guess there is a rough equivalency between (a) makers and (b) grinders or minders. 

Law firms, like any business, cannot survive without finders or sellers.  The way it has turned out in the business, however, is that the finders are paid a disproportionate amount more than all others.  Compensation is set based upon numbers, and the number that is over-weighted is "originations" (i.e., sales).  The result is a highly stratified professional structure, with the personnel doing the legal work are more like employees, even where they are labelled as partners or shareholders.  They have a vote, but never a controlling one.  Thus the compensation bias.

I am very happy to have left that world behind.

Offline

 

#22 2017-05-11 11:50:32

Well they shouldn't move him but putting up permanent signs as an educational tool is a very good idea.  As we all well know:  To forget history is to invite its repetition.

Offline

 

Board footer

high-street.org