#26 2017-03-16 19:36:51

Baywolfe wrote:

Dirckman wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Because an apartment the size of a discarded refrigerator box costs $3000 a month.  You want to buy a home?  Hope you can afford a starting range of $750,000 to $3,000,000.

I'm impressed with the cost of houses in the Houston area.  I can almost buy two houses for what my house in Colorado is worth.  I keep thinking there must be something wrong with the neighborhoods, but housing is just inexpensive here even in desirable neighborhoods.

Most of the suburbs are nice.  We lived in Katy for a while.  It used to be that the closer to downtown you were, the more expensive the houses.  My oldest son and his family live in Tomball, it's really cheap out there.  What areas are you looking in?

We were initially looking in The Woodlands, but it seemed a little far out for us.  We've liked Spring, TX and Tomball the most so far.  Katy is extremely nice, but doesn't have the neighborhood feel that we've been looking for.

#27 2017-03-16 20:52:40

Dirckman wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Dirckman wrote:

I'm impressed with the cost of houses in the Houston area.  I can almost buy two houses for what my house in Colorado is worth.  I keep thinking there must be something wrong with the neighborhoods, but housing is just inexpensive here even in desirable neighborhoods.

Most of the suburbs are nice.  We lived in Katy for a while.  It used to be that the closer to downtown you were, the more expensive the houses.  My oldest son and his family live in Tomball, it's really cheap out there.  What areas are you looking in?

We were initially looking in The Woodlands, but it seemed a little far out for us.  We've liked Spring, TX and Tomball the most so far.  Katy is extremely nice, but doesn't have the neighborhood feel that we've been looking for.

Spring is nice.  You wouldn't believe what 2920 looked like in 1980, it was practically a dirt road.  I lived with some friends in a subdivision named Northampton.  All that area is so easy to get to now with all the new toll roads they built.

#28 2017-03-17 05:30:22

Baywolfe wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

At that point why not just move to San Diego and enjoy year round perfect weather?

Because an apartment the size of a discarded refrigerator box costs $3000 a month.  You want to buy a home?  Hope you can afford a starting range of $750,000 to $3,000,000.

I just left that area if you recall.

#29 2017-03-17 05:31:28

Dirckman wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

At that point why not just move to San Diego and enjoy year round perfect weather?

Check your flood/wind insurance rates.

#30 2017-03-17 10:07:42

Emmeran wrote:

Dirckman wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

North of Houston is way out of the flood planes.  I don't think wind has ever been an issue.  Now, poisonous chemicals in the air and water, that's another story.

#31 2017-03-17 14:01:18

Baywolfe wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Dirckman wrote:

North of Houston is way out of the flood planes.  I don't think wind has ever been an issue.  Now, poisonous chemicals in the air and water, that's another story.

That explains the explosive diarrhea and why my hair has been coming out in clumps this week.

#32 2017-03-17 14:20:27

Baywolfe wrote:

I don't think wind has ever been an issue.

I know Galveston was wiped off the map a century ago, so Houston must be at risk of hurricanes at least occasionally. North Houston may not be in flood danger, but hundred mile an hour winds can do a lot of damage in their own right.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/features/sep13/galveston-top.jpg

#33 2017-03-17 15:47:58

Smudge wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

I know Galveston was wiped off the map a century ago, so Houston must be at risk of hurricanes at least occasionally. North Houston may not be in flood danger, but hundred mile an hour winds can do a lot of damage in their own right.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/featu … on-top.jpg

Oh sure, you're going to get the odd hurricane every 20 or 30 years but, hell, you want to live on the gulf coast or don't you?  There's a big difference between an island off the mainland 100+ years ago and a well built home in Tomball 100 miles away in the middle of a heavily wooded area. 

We've been in three, Alicia in Houston (the glass from the buildings downtown was four feet deep), and Ivan and Katrina in Mobile, AL.  No structural damage to any of the houses but Katrina sucked because we were without power for almost a week.

#34 2017-03-17 16:29:13

Baywolfe wrote:

Smudge wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/featu … on-top.jpg

Oh sure, you're going to get the odd hurricane every 20 or 30 years but, hell, you want to live on the gulf coast or don't you?  There's a big difference between an island off the mainland 100+ years ago and a well built home in Tomball 100 miles away in the middle of a heavily wooded area. 

We've been in three, Alicia in Houston (the glass from the buildings downtown was four feet deep), and Ivan and Katrina in Mobile, AL.  No structural damage to any of the houses but Katrina sucked because we were without power for almost a week.

Yeah, see and San Diego has zero natural disasters.  Complete fucking zero.

Perfect weather also, people are just now starting to discover that place.

Check this shit out:  http://www.usa.com/san-diego-ca-natural … tremes.htm

Sixth largest city in the US of A.

Last edited by Emmeran (2017-03-17 16:31:44)

#35 2017-03-17 16:38:53

What is the quality of life like in the Houston suburbs?  I'm leaving Colorado for the following reasons and hope to never deal with them again:

1.  Homeless people and panhandlers are on every street corner.  They can work, but they're just in Colorado for the marijuana.
2.  Winter. it's mild compared to WY and ND but still sucks the life out of me.
3.  Far left progressives. They are having a protest march or knocking on my door petitioning non-stop.  They are aggressive and annoying.
4.  Colorado state tax.  They take your money, but can't even fix the potholes in the roads.  Not sure where it goes.
5.  Dry air in high altitude.  I've spent my entire time in Colorado feeling lethargic with sinus issues.
6.  High cost of living.  The food, the fuel, insurance, electricity, is all priced higher than anywhere else I've lived.
7.  The people.  I've never known so many people lacking basic social skills.  Just rude fucking people that weren't raised right.
8.  No middle class.  You either live in the ghetto or pay a ridiculous amount of money on a mortgage.

What I like about Colorado:

1.  Best booze selection in the U.S.
2.  Nice scenery

#36 2017-03-17 17:11:08

Emmeran wrote:

Yeah, see and San Diego has zero natural disasters.  Complete fucking zero.

Perfect weather also, people are just now starting to discover that place.

Check this shit out:  http://www.usa.com/san-diego-ca-natural … tremes.htm

I spent a couple of years in Pacific Beach. The ocean was nice, and the girls were unbelievable (Oh, look, another perfect "10", yawn...).

But I was just getting started in business, and I was working my ass off with 50-60 hour weeks. Everybody else seemed to be partying non-stop. I felt out of step.

It was the most hedonistic place I've ever lived.

Last edited by Smudge (2017-03-17 17:12:39)

#37 2017-03-19 00:52:53

Emmeran wrote:

33% Hispanic and growing.  I attended a conference out there 20 years ago and it had one of the largest Cinco de Mayo crowds downtown that I had ever seen.  Yuppies and beaners, you can have the perfect weather, it's a great place to visit but I'm not living there.

#38 2017-03-19 00:55:28

Dirckman wrote:

What is the quality of life like in the Houston suburbs?  I'm leaving Colorado for the following reasons and hope to never deal with them again:

1.  Homeless people and panhandlers are on every street corner.  They can work, but they're just in Colorado for the marijuana.
2.  Winter. it's mild compared to WY and ND but still sucks the life out of me.
3.  Far left progressives. They are having a protest march or knocking on my door petitioning non-stop.  They are aggressive and annoying.
4.  Colorado state tax.  They take your money, but can't even fix the potholes in the roads.  Not sure where it goes.
5.  Dry air in high altitude.  I've spent my entire time in Colorado feeling lethargic with sinus issues.
6.  High cost of living.  The food, the fuel, insurance, electricity, is all priced higher than anywhere else I've lived.
7.  The people.  I've never known so many people lacking basic social skills.  Just rude fucking people that weren't raised right.
8.  No middle class.  You either live in the ghetto or pay a ridiculous amount of money on a mortgage.

What I like about Colorado:

1.  Best booze selection in the U.S.
2.  Nice scenery

Yeah, no state income tax in Texas.  Sales tax runs around 6%.  And they're building highways and Toll Roads everywhere.

#39 2017-03-19 02:25:16

Baywolfe wrote:

Smudge wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

All the major cities except Fort Worth vote Democrat, and they're the only areas growing in population.

I did not know either of those two things. Add to that the inevitable increases in Hispanics due to higher birthrates, and you have Texas turning blue at some point in the future, and with it a significant shift in presidential politics if nothing else.

It's been an interesting political history.  In the Presidential elections, of course they voted Democrat for Roosevelt and Truman and the whole time LBJ was VP or President and for his VP Humphrey, and lastly for Jimmy Carter.

People forget that Jimmy Carter, a Democrat, was seen as the conservative one in the 1976 Presidential Election.

#40 2017-03-19 07:31:54

Baywolfe wrote:

Toll Roads everywhere.

Tax

'ware the hidden taxes

#41 2017-03-19 09:23:15

AladdinSane wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Smudge wrote:

I did not know either of those two things. Add to that the inevitable increases in Hispanics due to higher birthrates, and you have Texas turning blue at some point in the future, and with it a significant shift in presidential politics if nothing else.

It's been an interesting political history.  In the Presidential elections, of course they voted Democrat for Roosevelt and Truman and the whole time LBJ was VP or President and for his VP Humphrey, and lastly for Jimmy Carter.

People forget that Jimmy Carter, a Democrat, was seen as the conservative one in the 1976 Presidential Election.

Yes, there was a time in this country when Democrat did not necessarily mean Liberal and Republican did not necessarily mean Conservative.  Even JFK for all his Civil Rights efforts as considered a conservative.  Tax cuts, free trade, anti-Communism, etc.

#42 2017-03-19 09:26:05

Emmeran wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Toll Roads everywhere.

Tax

'ware the hidden taxes

Actually, most of the Toll Roads in Texas are privately owned and maintained.  It's call a fee, not a tax, and nobody here makes you drive on them.

#43 2017-03-19 09:50:01

Baywolfe wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Toll Roads everywhere.

Tax

'ware the hidden taxes

Actually, most of the Toll Roads in Texas are privately owned and maintained.  It's call a fee, not a tax, and nobody here makes you drive on them.

That's the great joke of it, if you can't afford the tolls you can't use the road and can't get a job. Toll Roads are the bane of a level playing field.

Fee, Tax, Levy - it's all the same and it's corruption if it is funneled into private profits.  Restricting freedom of movement by imposing hidden taxes is one of the over-riding evils of unfettered capitalism.  Basic American liberties should not be held hostage to profit taking.

#44 2017-03-19 10:56:02

Emmeran wrote:

Fee, Tax, Levy - it's all the same...

Yup; and it's a regressive rather than progressive tax, meaning that the poorer you are, the more you pay as a percentage of your income, which is just the way that Ryan and similar types like it. Because, why should the wealthy pay taxes? That's what poor people are for.

The redder the state, the more likely they are to have swapped income taxes for regressive use fees. That's been my observation.

http://www.burntorangereport.com/diary/ … system-u-s

Last edited by Smudge (2017-03-19 11:25:34)

#45 2017-03-25 17:57:09

Dirckman wrote:

It's all tied to the cost of living in the area, along with demand, of course.  I expect CO is just more expensive to live in than Texas.  In SA you can spend a million bucks if you really want to; but we got a hell of a house--everything we wanted, built to our specs--for slightly less than a quarter-mil, about nine years ago.
I spent eleven (!) years in Dallas and...I really, really like San Antonio.

#46 2017-04-03 19:38:01

Baywolfe wrote:

True story many, many years before 9/11.
Driving from Buffalo, NY to Niagara Falls, ON at the Canadian Border.

Border Officer:  Good afternoon, are you from the United States?
Me: No, we're from Texas.
Border Officer: {Smiles}  Welcome to Canada!

I could never live in Texas. This is Austin.

#47 2017-04-03 22:03:05

It's a very pleasant place for tourists, no question; but White Austin is the most up-its-own-bum community I have ever encountered (and I spent 5+ years in Chapel Hill, so that is saying something).  San Antonio is 90 minutes south and west, has plenty of touristy stuff and excellent restaurants, is easily as "blue" as Austin and a lot more real.

#48 2017-04-04 03:13:46

choad wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

True story many, many years before 9/11.
Driving from Buffalo, NY to Niagara Falls, ON at the Canadian Border.

Border Officer:  Good afternoon, are you from the United States?
Me: No, we're from Texas.
Border Officer: {Smiles}  Welcome to Canada!

I could never live in Texas. This is Austin.

Of all the mentioned places the one I would recommend is the Austin Motel.  Ask the Google for quirky places to stay and it makes the list.  Next door is an old motor court that's upscale, if you need a room where they serve wine.  I wouldn't want to live there, but's it's nice to visit once every decade or so.

#49 2017-04-04 22:23:49

George Orr wrote:

It's a very pleasant place for tourists, no question; but White Austin is the most up-its-own-bum community I have ever encountered (and I spent 5+ years in Chapel Hill, so that is saying something).  San Antonio is 90 minutes south and west, has plenty of touristy stuff and excellent restaurants, is easily as "blue" as Austin and a lot more real.

Austin was great in the early 90's but it got too big.  And San Antonio is blue because it is mostly brown.

Board footer

high-street.org