#226 2017-02-09 19:50:27

Smudge wrote:

(With a tip of my hat to choad, who already recommended this film earlier in this thread.)

Somebody uploaded "In Bruges" (the complete film) to YouTube. I'm not sure how they got around the copyright restrictions, but my guess is it won't last long. So either grab it with a stream grabbing program, or watch it online.

If you haven't seen this very funny black comedy, you should. I can't imagine anyone who enjoys High-Street not liking this film:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-W2dknMgs4

You like In Bruges, you might like Pajiba.  The comments have become a bit saturated with cutesy stuff, but the media criticism and political commentary are top-notch.

Offline

 

#227 2017-02-09 20:11:07

Thank you, George. I've bookmarked and saved the site, and will give it a good going over.

Much appreciated.

Offline

 

#228 2017-02-10 10:09:39

Smudge wrote:

If you haven't seen this very funny black comedy, you should. I can't imagine anyone who enjoys High-Street not liking this film:

XregnaR didn't care much for it but maybe he's, you know, "Belgian", and hasn't the capacity to change. I think it's fucking brilliant.

Online

 

#229 2017-02-11 11:38:36

I recommend The Expanse.  It's on the Siffy Channel, which has been such crap for so long that I'd given up on it long ago.  But I kept hearing buzz about this show, so I checked out the first season online.
I wound up bingeing it, which is something I never do; but Season 1 was fascinating and there are a lot of interesting people in the cast.
Per Wikipedia, "In the United States, it is broadcast by Syfy and streams on Amazon Prime. In Canada, the series airs on Space. In New Zealand, the series airs on Sky. In all other countries, the series is available on Netflix."  If you are a US cable subscriber, you can watch S1 from the link I provided above.  You'll probably like it.

Offline

 

#230 2017-02-11 17:37:06

George Orr wrote:

I recommend The Expanse.  It's on the Siffy Channel, which has been such crap for so long that I'd given up on it long ago.  But I kept hearing buzz about this show, so I checked out the first season online.
I wound up bingeing it, which is something I never do; but Season 1 was fascinating and there are a lot of interesting people in the cast.
Per Wikipedia, "In the United States, it is broadcast by Syfy and streams on Amazon Prime. In Canada, the series airs on Space. In New Zealand, the series airs on Sky. In all other countries, the series is available on Netflix."  If you are a US cable subscriber, you can watch S1 from the link I provided above.  You'll probably like it.

One of the best ScFi series in recent memory...especially since SyFi Channel had been somewhat of a letdown.   Watched the entire season 1 in two days...much of the time when I should have been sleeping.  Anxiously awaiting Season 2.

BTW Damn you Georgie...for dishing out the Hannibal "bait".  Nothing I'd be inclined to watch...wound up knocking out all three seasons (while nursing a total knee replacement)...the correlations flashing upon that "inward eye" were most twisted.   First saw Mads Mikkelsen's fine performance in "Valhalla Rising". His performance substantially overshadowes Hopkins' Lechter.  Gillian Anderson sultry, alluring..."appetizing" if you will, as ever. 

Want to spike the BP for a cheap "inner rage" high? 

http://high-street.org/uploads/thumbs/307_inside.jpg

Still waiting for the documentary where these assholes get their comeuppance. 
Fuckers should be hanging from lamp posts.  Seriously.   

https://youtu.be/D9ub25WjEK0
https://youtu.be/bYm_oEO5iyE

Last edited by JetRx (2017-02-11 17:57:50)

Offline

 

#231 2017-02-11 18:23:27

JetRx wrote:

First saw Mads Mikkelsen's fine performance in "Valhalla Rising".

Odin/God vs the mad ambition of mortal man.

Old one eye always makes me smile, Melons hates that movie.

Offline

 

#232 2017-02-11 19:04:25

I agree that Mads' Hannibal Lecter is by far the best.  But to be fair, he was given a lot more screen time to work with.

Also, though all the visuals in the series are like visual symphonies--just unbelievably dense and complex and beautiful--I remain fascinated by the food.  Their food designer was a chef named Janice Poon and she should have won a goddamned Emmy.

Offline

 

#233 2017-02-12 03:24:04

Went back and skimmed this docu from the 1970's that I had seen back in the day and had bought on VHS many years later... was looking for a particular demonstration for my physics curriculum.  I ended up watching the whole damned thing all over again and realized why I loved it so much back when I was a lad.  It's still the single best explanation of Einstein's theories ever put forth. And Peter Ustinov narrates, that geeky fat bastard.  (Worth it even if you only watch to snigger at the classic 1970's fashion choices.)

(Below is only the latter half of the docu, but it's a good sample. I have the original VHS but Amazon and Vimeo have it on pay-view.  I don't think it's available as a freebie.)



Addendum:  if you really geek-out on all this, you may appreciate Calder's updates.

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2017-02-12 04:48:27)

Offline

 

#234 2017-03-24 21:52:04

I just watched what is probably the most intelligent and interesting zombie film I have ever seen. It is titled The Girl With All the Gifts. It is British. I think only 28 Days Later rivals it for story and intelligent treatment of the subject.
The official trailer for the film is fantastic but still doesn't touch on the main theme.

Offline

 

#235 2017-03-24 23:33:41

Not a big fan of the zombie genre (Exception: NOTLD)
However, this is pretty damn funny. 



Will check out Girl w/Gifts.

Offline

 

#236 2017-03-25 18:38:38

JetRx wrote:

Not a big fan of the zombie genre (Exception: NOTLD)
However, this is pretty damn funny. 



Will check out Girl w/Gifts.

Kind of like Fargo meets Night of the Living Dead.

FYI, you can't use the YouTube button here right now, you have to do Share, Embed and copy the code from YouTube.

Offline

 

#237 2017-03-25 18:40:05

nfidelbastard wrote:

I just watched what is probably the most intelligent and interesting zombie film I have ever seen.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but, having seen this trailer, I sought out the book it's based on.  It's a great book, even though the author obviously had an eye on a film adaptation from the get-go.
I often re-read books I like, but seldom until more than a year has passed.  With this one, I picked it up and re-read it after a couple days.  I am eager for a chance to see this film.

Offline

 

#238 2017-04-08 17:24:35

Not my usual cup of tea, but I've been enjoying the hell out of Legion. The productions values are high, and Rachel Keller is massively sexy. I just finished the fifth episode, and now I'm committed to watching the entire first season.

It's absolutely nothing like "Mr. Robot", but I keep thinking of "Mr. Robot" when I try to figure out how to describe it because of the level of incomprehensibility coupled with loads of creativity.

I don't watch programs made from comic books, except once in a while, when they are really good. This would be one of those times.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5114356/

Offline

 

#239 2017-04-08 18:45:35

We're coming late to the party, seeing how Fargo Season 3 is about to start but we're about 2/3 of the way through Season 1.

Offline

 

#240 2017-04-10 22:02:57

http://high-street.org/sidepic/MST3000.kevin.tom.jpg


~ click ~

Online

 

#241 2017-04-11 18:33:53

Not sure they can recapture lighting in a bottle, but I wish them well.  There have certainly been enough modern B Movies to keep them going for a while.

Offline

 

#242 2017-04-11 20:04:34

Baywolfe wrote:

We're coming late to the party, seeing how Fargo Season 3 is about to start but we're about 2/3 of the way through Season 1.

We watched S2 first--loved it--then devoured S1 and are now awaiting S3 with bated breath.

Offline

 

#243 2017-04-11 21:27:29

George Orr wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

We're coming late to the party, seeing how Fargo Season 3 is about to start but we're about 2/3 of the way through Season 1.

We watched S2 first--loved it--then devoured S1 and are now awaiting S3 with bated breath.

You both did realize that the same person who created and wrote Legion (Noah Hawley) also wrote Fargo, right? There's also some overlap in the casting, although I'm not sure how much. Rachel Keller, I know, has been in both series.

I watched a couple of episodes of Fargo a long time back, and it didn't click with me, but I've found Legion to be interesting enough that I'll probably go back and give Fargo another try. I can no longer remember what put me off when I first checked it out.

Offline

 

#244 2017-04-11 21:48:21

Smudge wrote:

I watched a couple of episodes of Fargo a long time back, and it didn't click with me, but I've found Legion to be interesting enough that I'll probably go back and give Fargo another try. I can no longer remember what put me off when I first checked it out.

*SPOILITY SPOILER DON'T READ FURTHER*
I watched the pilot ep of Fargo S1, and what put me off was the murder of the sheriff--that, and the sense that there were not going to be any characters that I would like or care about.  I was undergoing chemo at the time, and I think that contributed to my attitude.  At any rate, I skipped it.
Fast-forward to the next season; the entire Internet seemed to be creaming its panties over S2, so we tuned in and were immediately hooked.  After it was done we checked out S1 and I enjoyed it immensely--even though it turned out I DID hate most of the characters.
The general love of Legion--including yours--perplexes me.  While it was visually interesting, it's not ground-breaking stuff; and while the cast is absolutely grand and I can't complain about any of them, there was not enough plot.  I found it meandering and I lost patience with it (though I did finish the whole season).  What Legion mainly did for me was make me yearn for the return of Mr. Robot.  I appreciate that mine is the minority opinion.

Offline

 

#245 2017-04-11 22:08:25

Try Sneaky Pete, S01E01-10. Flawed plotting but captivating acting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/arts … -pete.html

Online

 

#246 2017-04-11 22:27:35

Thanks for that message, George. I have only one complaint; I never said I loved Legion; I said it was interesting. If you read back over my comments, you'll see that the jury (my jury) is still entirely out on that show. I'm not sure if I'll stick around for season two, if there even is a season two.

The one MOMENT I loved in Legion was when the inmates at the asylum broke out into the Bollywood dance number. That had me grinning from ear to ear. I think it was the high point of the show so far. It was so absurd, so perfect and then left so completely unexplained (or apologized for) that it sold me on watching the next few episodes.

Based on episode 6 alone, I wouldn't watch episode 7, so they're lucky I had already seen the Bollywood scene.

I also came clean about the fact that I'm infatuated with Rachel Keller, and that this colors everything else. I fall in love with Hollywood starlets on a regular basis, and it wears off, but while I'm in the grip of it...I simply am. I also find Aubrey Plaza fascinating, and, in fact, it was an article (link below) about the strange character which she plays in Legion which got me watching the show to begin with -- normally I give comic book movies a pass.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/03/aubrey- … mance.html

So...those two interesting and attractive women won't keep me watching over the long term. But it provided sufficient motivation to get me through most of the first season (only eight episodes, of which I have two left).

But I WILL check out Fargo again. And I may, in fact, start with season 2. I have no problem with things out of sequence.

(Addendum: I just reread my original message, and I DID say that Legion was good. I think at the moment I wrote that I had just come off of the fifth episode, which I liked a lot. My overall reaction, however, has been mixed. My bad, George; you were right.

The thing is, the jury's still out. They could still pull it all together and all of the machinations would have been merely the lead up and set up for a marvelous plot development. Or...it doesn't lead anywhere, in which case it's just kind of a confusing mess. I can't say which it's going to be until the season ends. They have two episodes left to either bring it all together and show us that it has been worth the journey. But I sort of think George is already confirming my worst fear.)

Last edited by Smudge (2017-04-11 23:06:51)

Offline

 

#247 2017-04-11 22:29:36

Yes, choad, Sneaky Pete was fun. Con man stories are almost always fun; it's an enjoyable, if predictable genre. I eagerly await season two.

Offline

 

#248 2017-04-11 23:51:34

Smudge wrote:

Yes, choad, Sneaky Pete was fun. Con man stories are almost always fun; it's an enjoyable, if predictable genre. I eagerly await season two.

Even a quick look at the characters involved in its production reveals a motley cast eager to reboot the Rockford Files after 40 years. Here's hoping they find another Angel Martin.

http://high-street.org/sidepic/rockfordfiles.png

Online

 

#249 2017-04-12 20:33:07

George Orr wrote:

Smudge wrote:

I watched a couple of episodes of Fargo a long time back, and it didn't click with me, but I've found Legion to be interesting enough that I'll probably go back and give Fargo another try. I can no longer remember what put me off when I first checked it out.

*SPOILITY SPOILER DON'T READ FURTHER*
I watched the pilot ep of Fargo S1, and what put me off was the murder of the sheriff--that, and the sense that there were not going to be any characters that I would like or care about.  I was undergoing chemo at the time, and I think that contributed to my attitude.  At any rate, I skipped it.
Fast-forward to the next season; the entire Internet seemed to be creaming its panties over S2, so we tuned in and were immediately hooked.  After it was done we checked out S1 and I enjoyed it immensely--even though it turned out I DID hate most of the characters.
The general love of Legion--including yours--perplexes me.  While it was visually interesting, it's not ground-breaking stuff; and while the cast is absolutely grand and I can't complain about any of them, there was not enough plot.  I found it meandering and I lost patience with it (though I did finish the whole season).  What Legion mainly did for me was make me yearn for the return of Mr. Robot.  I appreciate that mine is the minority opinion.

Season Two, Sioux Falls, is mentioned repeatedly in Season One.  The State Trooper in S2 is Molly's Dad who runs the Diner in S1.  The number of Fargo The Movie references/homages in S1 was off the charts.  I don't know if there is much left to reference in S2.  I guess we'll find out, we finished S1 and have S2 queued up when we're ready to start watching.

We loved S1 and yes, we hated a few of the characters and were glad they got what was coming to them.  It's already worked its way into our lexicon.  We were eating at a restaurant for lunch today and the guy at the next table was being a real douche because the obviously busy wait staff wasn't serving him in the manner he felt he deserved.  My wife mentioned something to the effect of what an asshole he was and I looked at her very seriously and said, "Barbara, is THIS what you WANT?"  She laughed so hard the people around us probably thought we were insane.

Offline

 

#250 2017-04-12 22:47:05

Baywolfe wrote:

Season Two, Sioux Falls, is mentioned repeatedly in Season One.  The State Trooper in S2 is Molly's Dad who runs the Diner in S1.  The number of Fargo The Movie references/homages in S1 was off the charts.  I don't know if there is much left to reference in S2.  I guess we'll find out, we finished S1 and have S2 queued up when we're ready to start watching.

We loved S1 and yes, we hated a few of the characters and were glad they got what was coming to them.  It's already worked its way into our lexicon.  We were eating at a restaurant for lunch today and the guy at the next table was being a real douche because the obviously busy wait staff wasn't serving him in the manner he felt he deserved.  My wife mentioned something to the effect of what an asshole he was and I looked at her very seriously and said, "Barbara, is THIS what you WANT?"  She laughed so hard the people around us probably thought we were insane.

Sorry but Fargo the Movie was awesome - why would I ever watch a knock off series?  And fuck y'all I think I'm the only one here to ever live up on the Bakken.

Offline

 

Board footer

high-street.org