#76 2017-09-01 12:24:51

GooberMcNutly wrote:

My Dad lived in Gulf Port MS for a while and tanker cars would roll by 2 blocks from his house all day long. So he started looking up the placard numbers. A year later he moved. He told me that once per day he would see a train that, if derailed, would probably kill every living organism within a 1/2 mile and half of them within 2 miles. If it crashed on one of the innumerable bridges it would probably kill the shellfish industry within 20 miles. All chained together on a train, oxidizers coupled right to hydrocarbon tanks in a rolling version of a diesel fertilizer bomb, except in 10 ton loads.

Pretty much everything hazardous travels by rail.  I wouldn't live near a rail yard by choice, what can be near each other switching or just sitting there is far more lax than what can be near each other in a train.  Manager's bonus money trumps all when deciding if something is legal or not.

#77 2017-09-01 13:06:44

hedgewizard wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

My Dad lived in Gulf Port MS for a while and tanker cars would roll by 2 blocks from his house all day long. So he started looking up the placard numbers. A year later he moved. He told me that once per day he would see a train that, if derailed, would probably kill every living organism within a 1/2 mile and half of them within 2 miles. If it crashed on one of the innumerable bridges it would probably kill the shellfish industry within 20 miles. All chained together on a train, oxidizers coupled right to hydrocarbon tanks in a rolling version of a diesel fertilizer bomb, except in 10 ton loads.

Pretty much everything hazardous travels by rail.  I wouldn't live near a rail yard by choice, what can be near each other switching or just sitting there is far more lax than what can be near each other in a train.  Manager's bonus money trumps all when deciding if something is legal or not.

I did a project for Sealand/Maersk where I wrote a process that would go through a ship's cargo manifest for hazardous materials (and on a ship, even a bale of cotton is deemed a hazardous material) and compare that to what a port would allow 1) to leave its docks, 2) to sit on its docks or 3) even allowed in the port at all.  Many, especially in other countries, were very tight-assed.  New Orleans, however, lived up to its Big Easy title.  Nothing was banned; even nuclear material was allowed in.

#78 2017-09-02 03:22:49

Baywolfe wrote:

I did a project for Sealand/Maersk where I wrote a process that would go through a ship's cargo manifest for hazardous materials (and on a ship, even a bale of cotton is deemed a hazardous material) and compare that to what a port would allow 1) to leave its docks, 2) to sit on its docks or 3) even allowed in the port at all.  Many, especially in other countries, were very tight-assed.  New Orleans, however, lived up to its Big Easy title.  Nothing was banned; even nuclear material was allowed in.

I remember a DOD shipment where the paperwork said you have something hazardous in this car and it could be any of these things (a laundry list of every chemical, nuclear, and biological nasty you don't want to be near).  Well which one is it?  We're not telling you, just run the damn train and shut up.  Rules are meant to be broken when it's convenient/profitable.

#79 2017-09-02 13:45:37

hedgewizard wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

I remember a DOD shipment where the paperwork said you have something hazardous in this car and it could be any of these things (a laundry list of every chemical, nuclear, and biological nasty you don't want to be near).  Well which one is it?  We're not telling you, just run the damn train and shut up.  Rules are meant to be broken when it's convenient/profitable.

Yes, absolutely!  In fact, another function of the process I wrote was to disallow the shipment if any hard-rejects came back.  It wasn't in production one day before they asked me to add an override to allow the shipment anyway.

#80 2017-09-03 12:56:25

This is San Antonio's only grocery store chain--other than Wal-Mart and little mom & pop bodegas, they have a monopoly here.  And yet, the quality of their merch, their prices, and their impeccable reputation as a good employer means that even if competitors' stores were available, I'd still shop there.
This is an interview with the guy who runs the stores in SE Texas.  I'm very impressed.

#81 2017-09-03 13:08:34

Very impressive stuff. And that's how you build absolute customer loyalty too.

#82 2017-12-11 20:47:06

I am officially living deep in the arse of Texas now.  If you want to find me I'll be in the piney forests of deep East Texas.

#83 2017-12-12 11:54:56

Dirckman wrote:

I am officially living deep in the arse of Texas now.  If you want to find me I'll be in the piney forests of deep East Texas.

A very nice area.  I, myself, have wandered through the Piney Woods a time or two.

#84 2018-01-13 07:22:21

https://high-street.org/sidepic/womendrivers.png

~ click ~

#85 2018-01-15 09:27:56

Volunteer fundraisers for the city? What could go wrong?

Board footer

high-street.org